advertisement

See Barbara Bush and Husband Craig Coyne on the Cringey Blind Date Where They First Met

See Barbara Bush and Husband Craig Coyne on the Cringey Blind Date Where They First Met

Sometimes an awkward blind date is just the beginning of a beautiful love story!

To celebrate the recent marriage of her friend Barbara Bush, 36, author Emily Giffin decided to share a photo from Barbara’s first date last year with now-husband Craig Coyne, 36.

“Congratulations to @barbaritabush and Craig!!!! So giddy that I have a photo from the night they met!!!” Giffin wrote on Instagram, before noting that she was the one who thought it’d be a good idea to document the moment.

“I told them they needed to get a quick snapshot ‘just in case you end up getting married.’ And they DID!!! Ahhhh!!!” she added. “Here’s to forever!!!!”

While there’s often a discomfort factor to blind dates, the photo hinted at just how awkward Barbara and Coyne’s first meeting really was, as the now-couple were joined in the snapshot by Giffin and the bride’s twin sister, Jenna Bush Hager, 36.

View this post on Instagram

Congratulations to @barbaritabush and Craig!!!! So giddy that I have a photo from the night they met!!! I told them they needed to get a quick snapshot “just in case you end up getting married.” And they DID!!! Ahhhh!!! Here’s to forever!!!!💕🥂💕🥂💕

A post shared by Emily Giffin (@emilygiffinauthor) on Oct 8, 2018 at 6:23am PDT

//www.instagram.com/embed.js

RELATED: Barbara Bush Thought She’d Never Hear from Now-Husband Again After ‘Hilarious’ Blind First Date

In an interview for the latest issue of PEOPLE, the former first daughter opened up

Read more: https://people.com/politics/barbara-bush-husband-craig-coyne-blind-first-date-photo/

Simone Biles Slams New USA Gymnastics President for Anti-Nike Tweet After Brand's Kaepernick Ad

Simone Biles Slams New USA Gymnastics President for Anti-Nike Tweet After Brand's Kaepernick Ad

Simone Biles is standing up for her sport – and her fellow athletes.

One day after Mary Bono was appointed as the interim president and CEO of USA Gymnastics, Olympic gymnast Biles, 21, slammed Bono for a tweet she posted in September that showed the executive blacking out the Nike logo on her golf shoes in response to NFL star Colin Kaepernick‘s controversial Nike ad.

“*mouth drop* don’t worry, it’s not like we needed a smarter usa gymnastics president or any sponsors or anything,” Biles tweeted on Saturday.

In Bono’s photo, which was posted in September and has now been deleted, she used a black marker to cover up a white Nike logo on a pair of golf shoes. Similar actions were shared on social media as a negative reaction to the brand after it featured Kaepernick, who started the #TakeAKnee movement in 2016, in its ad campaign.

“Playing in a charity golf tournament raising money for our nation’s Special Forces operators and their families. Unfortunately had these shoes in my bag. Luckily I had a marker in my bag too,” Bono, a former GOP congresswoman from California and widow of late pop star Sonny Bono, wrote along with her photo.

Kaepernick, 30, has become the preeminent voice in protesting police brutality since he began kneeling during the national anthem as a member of the San Francisco 49ers in September 2016. Though he is currently not signed to a team, other athletes have followed his lead, which the NFL attempted to sanction earlier this year. Nike’s decision to feature Kaepernick in its ad sparked a boycott of their products, as many conservatives burnt Nike-branded shoes and clothing.

Biles, who is sponsored by Nike, was among those to bring attention to Bono’s anti-Nike tweet, which led Bono to tweet an apology.

“I regret the post and respect everyone’s views & fundamental right to express them. This doesn’t reflect how I will approach my position @USAGym I will do everything I can to help build, w/ the community, an open, safe & positive environment,” she tweeted. “I look forward to telling my gymnastics story, my vision for the future of the sport and why I wanted the job.”

*mouth drop*

don’t worry, it’s not like we needed a smarter usa gymnastics president or any sponsors or anything https://t.c

Read more: https://people.com/sports/simone-biles-slams-usa-gymnastics-president-for-anti-nike-tweet/

Justin Bieber's Marriage 'Threw' Selena Gomez 'Off Guard and Hit Her Hard,' Says Source

Justin Bieber's Marriage 'Threw' Selena Gomez 'Off Guard and Hit Her Hard,' Says Source

Justin Bieber‘s engagement and marriage to Hailey Baldwin came as a surprise to the world — but the developments have had a deeper impact on his former longtime girlfriend, Selena Gomez, a source tells PEOPLE.

“Selena can be a delicate flower, especially because she has had constant medical struggles, but Justin’s engagement and quick marriage threw her off guard and hit her hard,” a music source tells PEOPLE.

Gomez, 26, is seeking treatment after recently suffering an emotional breakdown while in the hospital, a source confirmed to PEOPLE on Wednesday.

“She and Justin have been on and off for years, although they were so young when it all began,” adds the insider. “Justin was her first big love, and she isn’t over him.”

The “Wolves” singer experienced “a panic attack” during her second hospital stay in just a few short weeks — she suffers from a low white blood cell count, a common side effect for kidney transplant patients — a source told PEOPLE.

Now the music insider says Gomez is on the mend as she seeks treatment and is eager to get back on track.

“Selena is feeling better,” the source says. “She is getting the help she needs.”

RELATED: Justin Bieber ‘Is Not Over’ Selena Gomez Despite Marriage to Hailey Baldwin, Says Source

RELATED: Selena Gomez Seeking Treatment After Emotional Breakdown in Hospital Following ‘Tough’ Few Weeks

As for how Bieber, 24, has reacted to Gomez’s struggles, “It’s hard for him to hear that she isn’t doing well,” a source close to Bieber told PEOPLE after the Canadian pop star was spotted crying in a vehicle with Baldwin, 21, on Thursday following news of Gomez’s recent hospitalization. The pop star was also photographed that day hugging friends after driving himself to church in Los Angeles.

“This was his first great love, and while he was young and traveling around the world as a superstar, he learned a great deal from her,” a Miami music source told PEOPLE.

RELATED: Justin Bieber Seen Crying After Selena Gomez Hospitalization: He ‘Will Always Care,’ Says Source

“He was extremely upset over what has happened to Selena,” the Miami music source added. “He feels like she is part of his life and he wants her to be ha

Read more: https://people.com/music/justin-bieber-marriage-threw-selena-gomez-off/

NFL's Ryan Shazier Returns to Field Where He Suffered Devastating Spinal Injury

NFL's Ryan Shazier Returns to Field Where He Suffered Devastating Spinal Injury

The last time Ryan Shazier stepped onto the field at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, nearly a year ago, he was carried back off on a gurney.

On December 4, 2017, Shazier, a linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers, was involved in a head-on hit while attempting to tackle a Cincinnati Bengals player. Immediately following the collision, Shazier collapsed on the field and placed his hand on the middle of his back, and though he was capable of rolling to his side, he wasn’t able to move his legs.

Tests the next day revealed that Shazier, now 26, experienced a spinal contusion, according to the New York Daily News, and he underwent a stabilization surgery two days later. Doctors were uncertain if he would ever walk again.

But on Sunday, Shazier — having made miraculous strides in his recovery — was on hand to watch the Steelers when they returned to face the Bengals in Cinncinati.

Ryan Shazier walks back onto the field he left last Dec. 4. #Steelers pic.twitter.com/5XOdNkv8nn

— Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) October 14, 2018

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

RELATED: After Debilitating Spinal Injury, NFL’s Ryan Shazier Walks Onstage During Draft Night: ‘Incredible’

Just before the start of the game, Shazier walked onto the field for the first time since his injury, and NFL reporter Aditi Kinkhabwala was there to capture the emotional moment on video.

“It’s been a long journey, but this is still a ways to go,” Shazier tweeted on Sunday, along with a video about his recovery.

“But it all started here in Cincinnati. Today was an amazing day I was so thankful to be able to tell everyone thank you.”

On Saturday, Shazier visited UC Health’s University of Cincinnati Medical Center, to thank the doctors and staff who cared for him following his injury.

It’s been a long journey, but this is still a ways to go. But it all started here in Cincinnati. Today was an amazing day I was so thankful to be able to tell everyone thank you. #Shalieve pic.twitter.com/wItKXNp5ya

— Ryan Shazier (@RyanShazier) October 14, 2018

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

In April, during the first night of the 2018 NFL Draft, Shazier left the NFL world in awe when he walked across the stage w

Read more: https://people.com/sports/ryan-shazier-returns-to-field-suffered-spinal-injury/

Maksim Chmerkovskiy Reveals Why He’s Not Returning to Dancing with the Stars

Maksim Chmerkovskiy Reveals Why He’s Not Returning to Dancing with the Stars

Maksim Chmerkovskiy won’t try to add one last Mirrorball Trophy to his mantle.

On Monday’s episode of The Real, cohost Loni Love admitted she was “very disappointed because you decided not to go back to Dancing with the Stars.”

Showing off his trademark humor, Maks joked that he didn’t feel like his absence would have made that much of an impression.

“I have a sibling that looks just like me, does the same stuff, and says similar things,” he said, alluding to his younger brother Val Chmerkovskiy.

Getting serious, Maks, 38, explained that his growing family contributed to his decision to stay off the show.

“I’m a dad, I’m a husband,” he remarked, adding that “your chemistry changes when you have a child, things look different, they seem different.”

The reality star is married to fellow DWTS pro Peta Murgatroyd, with whom he shares son Shai Aleksander, 20 months.

RELATED: Peta Murgatroyd Says She ‘Absolutely’ Wants More Kids, Responds to Mom Shamers: ‘You Can’t Win’

“There’s also something to be said for what the show is itself,” Maks continued, adding that while he’ll always be a “big supporter” of the beloved ABC program, he no longer wants to participate in the competitive aspect of the show.

“You find yourself politicking for your votes,” he said, adding that while he wasn’t always successful at staying cool-headed during the 12 years he was on the program, “you find you have to be a certain way because you don’t want your antics to cost your partner their votes.”

RELATED: From Big Wins to Big Blowups: How Maksim Chmerkovskiy Has Felt About All of His DWTS Partners

But these days, the dancer wants “people to know me for me, and not that guy who was there.”

“I’m not saying that a lot of things are now gonna be said, and I wasn’t real back then,” he continued. “I want what I say now to be understood that it’s me, it’s not, well, he has to say that.”

RELATED VIDEO: Are Maks & Peta Ready For Baby #2?! Val Says ‘They’re Pretty Serious About It’

Chmerkovskiy last returned to the DWTS ballroom in 2017, partnering with television personality Vanessa Lachey. 

His first and only win came during season 18, when he helped lead Olympic ice dancer Me

Read more: https://people.com/tv/maksim-chmerkovskiy-reveals-why-not-returning-dancing-with-the-stars/

advertisement

advertisement

The Opinion Poll

National Weather

Click on Map for Forecast