Robert Kraft is speaking out for the first time after he was charged last month with soliciting prostitution at a massage parlor in Florida.
“In deference to the judicial process, I have remained silent these past several weeks. To correct some of the misinformation surrounding this matter, my attorney made his first public comments on Friday night,” Kraft wrote in a statement obtained by PEOPLE. “I would like to use this opportunity to say something that I have wanted to say for four weeks.”
“I am truly sorry. I know I have hurt and disappointed my family, my close friends, my co-workers, our fans and many others who rightfully hold me to a higher standard,” added Kraft, who pleaded not guilty to the charges. “Throughout my life, I have always tried to do the right thing. The last thing I would ever want to do is disrespect another human being.”
“I have extraordinary respect for women; my morals and my soul were shaped by the most wonderful woman, the love of my life, who I was blessed to have as my partner for 50 years,” Kraft wrote, referencing his late wife Myra, who died of cancer at age 68 in 2011.
Concluding his statement, Kraft wrote: “As I move forward, I hope to continue to use the platform with which I have been blessed to help others and to try to make a difference. I expect to be judged not by my words, but by my actions. And through these actions, I hope to regain your confidence and respect.”
Kraft is scheduled to appear in court on March 28, according to ESPN.
RELATED: Who Is Robert Kraft? Everything to Know About Patriots Owner Accused of Soliciting Prostitution
One day before releasing his statement, Kraft’s attorney William Burck told the New York Post that the West Palm Beach State Attorney had denied their request to prevent evidence from the case — including video which allegedly shows spa employees performing sex acts on Kraft — from being released.
“We put in a motion for a protective order of the evidence in this case, a standard request in any case to keep evidence protected until trial — especially since the video evidence supposedly contains private moments between people,” he told the outlet. “We’ve been surprised and disappointed that the state attorney did not sign on to