One-legged woman cleared of slaying can sue Kentucky trooper
- Created on 28 March 2017
USA Today Network Andrew Wolfson, The (Louisville) Courier-Journal 12:56 a.m. ET March 28, 2017
Susan Jean King (Photo: Courier-Journal)
LOUISVILLE — A woman who was exonerated for a homicide after spending more than six years behind bars can sue the Kentucky State Police detective she says framed her.
The U.S Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Monday reinstated a lawsuit alleging malicious prosecution filed by Susan Jean King against Lt. Todd Harwood.
King alleges that Harwood, then a sergeant, lied before a grand jury that indicted her on a murder charge in the death of Kyle Breeden by falsely testifying that it was impossible to determine if the bullets found in King’s floor and the ones found in Breeden’s skull were a match. In fact, Judge Danny Boggs of Louisville wrote for a three-judge appellate panel, a state police forensic examiner had told Harwood the bullets didn’t match.
Boggs also noted that Harwood omitted from his testimony that King had only one leg, which would have undercut his claim that she dragged Breeden from her home and threw him off a bridge.
"We’re very pleased with the decision," Thomas Clay, a lawyer for King, said. "It returns Susan Jean King’s case to court, where hopefully a jury will agree with us that the actions by Kentucky State Police were truly outrageous.”
Harwood referred questions to KSP Lt. Michael Webb, who said he could not comment Monday.
The appeals court reversed U.S. District Judge Greg Stivers, who threw out King’s suit against Harwood and other defendants on the grounds that police had probable cause for her arrest and that the suit was filed too late.
“… Hopefully a jury will agree with us that the actions by Kentucky State Police were truly outrageous.”Thomas Clay, lawyer for Susan Jean King
The panel did affirm the dismissal of counts that named the state police and three of Harwood’s supervisors.
The Courier-Journal previously reported that after Breeden’s body was found in 1998 in the Kentucky River, his murder went unsolved for eight years, despite an investigation by six KSP detectives.
But when Harwood was assigned it as a cold case in 2006, it took him only 21 days to say he had solved it and that King was the culprit.
Facing 20 years to life if she went to trial and was found guilty, King, while maintaining her innocence, pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of second-degree manslaughter and accepted a 10-year sentence.
The Kentucky Innocence Project already had been working on the case for several years when on May 4, 2012, a serial murderer named Richard Jarrell confessed to a Louisville Metro Police detective that he had in fact killed Breeden.
After Harwood initially declined to interview Jarrell, then allegedly intimidated him into recanting his confession, Louisville Detective Barron Morgan reported the confession to the Innocence Project after getting permission from a supervisor.
The newspaper reported that then-state Police Commissioner Rodney Brewer complained to Louisville police Chief Steve Conrad, a longtime friend, that Morgan was meddling in a state police case, and Conrad subsequently transferred...
Suspect arrested in Colorado Islamic Center attack
- Created on 27 March 2017
USA Today Network Alicia Stice and Cassa Niedringhaus, Fort Collins Coloradoan 11:54 p.m. ET March 27, 2017
Fort Collins Police Services released security camera footage from the Sunday morning vandalism of the Islamic Center of Fort Collins. They are asking for the public's help in identifying the perpetrator. Fort Collins Police Services
Fort Collins Police Services released security camera footage from the Sunday morning vandalism of the Islamic Center of Fort Collins. This is a screengrab from the video. (Photo: Fort Collins Police Services)
FORT COLLINS, Colo. — Fort Collins Police have arrested a suspect in connection with the vandalism of the Islamic Center of Fort Collins over the weekend.
Joseph Scott Giaquinto, 35, was identified as the suspect and arrested Monday, according to Fort Collins Police Services.
He was arrested on suspicion of several charges, including a bias motivated crime, a Class 1 misdemeanor.
“We will not tolerate acts of hatred in our community, and I hope this arrest sends that message loud and clear,” Fort Collins Police Chief John Hutto said. “While the building can be repaired, this incident caused deeper hurt that won’t just go away. I urge all of our citizens to continue showing the kind of support and acceptance demonstrated at the Islamic Center rally on Sunday night.”
Islamic Center President Tawfik Abo Ellail found out about the arrest late Monday. He said the arrest was a "partial comfort," and that he was eager to learn more details about the crime and its motivations.
Islamic Center of Fort Collins President Tawfik AboEllail views photos captured by a security camera of a man that vandalized the center in the early morning hours of Sunday, March 26, 2017. (Photo: Austin Humphreys/The Coloradoan)
"There is a better sense of security, but we are not out of the woods yet," he said.
Fort Collins Police Services spokeswoman Kate Kimble said she did not have details on how police came to identify Giaquinto as the suspect. A booking photo was not available as of Monday evening.
Giaquinto is listed as living in an apartment complex just across from the Islamic Center on Lake Street.
Surveillance footage from the Islamic Center showed a suspect attempting to break in to the building using a screwdriver and kicking the door.
The attack on the center left sections of its prayer room floor covered in shattered glass after the perpetrator threw large rocks through the center's glass doors. Investigators also found a Bible that appeared to have been thrown through the broken glass. Outdoor furniture was overturned, and one chair's legs had been wedged into the door handles of an exterior door.
The community came together on Sunday evening, with at least 1,000 people gathering at the center in support of the Muslim house of worship.
Giaquinto was arrested on suspicion of criminal mischief, a Class 6 felony, third-degree trespassing and a bias motivated crime. A Class 6 felony, if Giaquinto is convicted, carries a sentence of up...
Cincinnati nightclub surrenders liquor permits in wake of shooting
- Created on 26 March 2017
USA Today Network Sharon Coolidge, James Pilcher and Cameron Knight, The Cincinnati Enquirer Published 3:24 p.m. ET March 27, 2017 | Updated 10 minutes ago
Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac, spoke Monday morning at City Hall on the continuing investigation on the shootings at Cameo night club after 17 were injured and one killed. The Enquirer/Cara Owsley The Enquirer/Cara Owsley
Assistant Fire Chief Roy Winston, right, with other authorities gathered at Cincinnati City Hall on Monday, March 27, 2017, to provide an update in the Cameo nightclub shooting investigation. (Photo: Cara Owsley, The Cincinnati Enquirer)
CINCINNATI — The manager of Cameo nightclub where 17 people were shot — one of them fatally — early Sunday morning has voluntarily surrendered his liquor permits , Cincinnati City Manager Harry Black said.
The step comes as Cincinnati police continue to investigate who fired the shots and after the Ohio Investigative Unit, which handles the law-enforcement portion of liquor licensing, handed down several violations and citations. The investigative unit acted after touring the club once it was cleared by police Sunday.
City officials briefed council members Monday morning at the Law and Public Safety Committee meeting about the shooting. Cincinnati police had previously said 16 people had been shot . At the meeting, officials learned a man came forward Sunday night to say he was among those hit in the flurry of bullets, bringing the total number of victims to 17.
Among them: 27-year-old O'Bryan Spikes, who died.
The newly discovered victim means the Sunday shooting ties with a November 2015 shooting in New Orleans as the 10th worst mass shooting in the United States since 2013.
"I am confident we will find the people who are responsible," Police Chief Eliot Isaac said.
Adam Johnson, the investigative unit’s agent in charge for the Cincinnati district office, said the violations at the nightclub included the presence of marijuana at the bar, in employee areas and in plain sight in the club. Also, the inspection uncovered mold in some of the beer coolers (and some on bottles) as well as fruit flies and gnats in some of the liquor bottles.
It’s up to the state Ohio Liquor Commission to determine whether the violations should stand and if punishment is warranted. The club owners were also cited in 2015 for the presence of marijuana and paid an unknown fine to keep the licenses in place.
The club was licensed to serve beer, wine and liquor past the normal 1 a.m. time until 2:30 a.m., as well as being able to serve until 12 midnight on Sundays. All licenses were current and were up for renewal on June 1.
If club manager Julian Rodgers wants to operate a club again he'll have to apply for a new liquor permit, a process that can take months. He has said the club will remain closed until the police investigation is complete.
During the Law and Public Safety Committee meeting, Isaac said five people remained hospitalized; two in critical condition. Police...
U.S. reviews bomb videos as part of probe into civilian deaths in Mosul
- Created on 27 March 2017
An Iraqi security member patrols as displaced Iraqis from western Mosul head to a refugee camp south of the besieged city.
Racist 'assassin' indicted as terrorist in NYC murder of black man
- Created on 27 March 2017
Mike James, USA TODAY Published 5:03 p.m. ET March 27, 2017 | Updated 53 minutes ago
A 28-year-old Baltimore man has turned himself in after admitting to fatally stabbing a 66-year-old black man in New York City. USA TODAY
James Harris Jackson, 28, a white racist accused of fatally stabbing a 66-year-old stranger on a Manhattan street because he was black, appears in Manhattan Criminal Court, in New York, Monday March 27, 2017. (Photo: Alec Tabak, AP)
A sword-wielding racist who traveled to New York City and allegedly killed a homeless black man was charged Monday with state terrorism charges - a rarity - in a crime that prosecutors decried as an assault on personal and racial freedom.
The Manhattan district attorney's office took the dramatic step of filing first- and second-degree murder as an act of terrorism charges against James Jackson, 28. Terrorism charges are typically filed at the federal level and are reserved for suspects who planned mass attacks, anti-abortion killings, or eco-terrorism. Among the most famous domestic terror cases are the Unabomber attacks, the Oklahoma City bombing, and the Charleston church shooting.
Jackson was originally charged with run-of-the-mill murder charges but prosecutors on Monday upgraded the ante to terrorism. He is depicted in an indictment as an assassin who traveled from his Baltimore home for one simple reason: the scouting and killing of a black person on the streets of New York.
"James Jackson prowled the streets of New York for three days in search of a black person to assassinate in order to launch a campaign of terrorism against our Manhattan community and the values we celebrate," the district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance, wrote in announcing the charges, which also include a count of murder in the second degree as a hate crime. "With total presence of mind, he acted on his plan, randomly selecting a beloved New Yorker solely on the basis of his skin color."
Fatally stabbed in the March 20 attack was Timothy Caughman, who was picking through trash when Jackson is alleged to have pulled a 26-inch sword from a long black overcoat he was wearing and stabbed him in the chest and back.
Jackson, who was staying in a midtown New York hotel, told police that he hated black men for at least a decade, police said.
“The reason he picked New York is because it’s the media capital of the world, and he wanted to make a statement,” Assistant Police Chief William Aubrey said at the time of Jackson's arrest.
Police suggested that Jackson had been thinking of attacking others but instead chose to turn himself in.
The New York Daily News reported Sunday that Jackson said in a Rikers Island jailhouse interview with a reporter that he hoped the attack on Caughman would stop white women from entering relationships with black men.
Jackson said he grew up in an “almost all-white” area outside of Baltimore. “My family is as liberal as they come ... typical liberal Democrats,” he told the Daily News...