advertisement

Video Watch Tavis Smiley Break His Silence On PBS Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Tavis Smiley intends to “fight back” against the allegations of sexual misconduct at PBS that led to his suspension from the broadcasting company, the television and radio host said in a video message posted to Facebook early Thursday morning. But it was unclear what real point of recourse he had as PBS continued its investigation that apparently yielded such damning findings that the company was compelled to put Tavis’ show on hold.

Smiley is denying everything except having a “consensual relationship with a colleague years ago” and said he was unsure what brought on the “so-called investigation” that could end his 30-year career in media.

READ MORE: PBS Suspends Tavis Smiley After Being Accused Of Sexual Misconduct

“PBS launched a so-called investigation of me without ever informing me,” he wrote on Facebook. “I learned of the investigation when former staffers started contacting me to share the uncomfortable experience of receiving a phone call from a stranger asking whether, I had ever done anything to make them uncomfortable, and if they could provide other names of persons to call.”

In addition to being accused of creating a threatening and verbally abusive work environment, PBS alleged he had sexual relations with “multiple subordinates” and “some witnesses interviewed expressed concern that their employment status was linked to the status of a sexual relationship with Smiley.”

Black Twitter was holding karma responsible for what appears to be Smiley’s demise. It wasn’t that long ago that he went on a crusade against the first and only Black president, saying in part “that black people lost ground in every single leading economic category during the Obama years.” He would later write in Time that “friendships can get funky, but sometimes in life, you have to fight with your friends.”

In addition to his career possibly being over, Smiley said he was concerned about ever being able to get his good name back.

“Put simply, PBS overreacted and conducted a biased and sloppy investigation, which led to a rush to judgment, and trampling on a reputation that I have spent an entire lifetime trying to establish,” he wrote. “This has gone too far. And, I, for one, intend to fight back.”

Watch the minute-long video below.

Read more: https://newsone.com/3764778/tavis-smiley-video-pbs-suspension-sexual-misconduct-update/

A 16-Year-Old Black Student Shares What It Took To Get Into Harvard

Ayrton Little offers a simple piece of advice on how to get into Harvard University: “Always work hard!” he told NewsOne. The 16-year-old Opelousas, Louisiana student attends school year-round, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. “You have to be dedicated to greatness,” he added.

RELATED: Black Teen Accepted To All 8 Ivy League Schools

There’s another magic ingredient to his success—having a mother who is your “number one supporter” and who always stresses the importance of education. Her high expectations motivated Ayrton to make her proud.

The Ivy League bound student didn’t tell his mom that he applied to Harvard. “I wanted to surprise her by showing her the man I’ve become,” he said. And what a surprise it was:

All the hard work was worth it. I got accepted to Harvard at 16!! 😭😭😭#Harvard #Harvard2022 pic.twitter.com/KjW3pAF0VG

— Tha Little Man (@AyrtonLittle) December 13, 2017

On Tuesday, the TM Landry College Prep senior opened his decision letter online. The room, filled with classmates and family, erupted in joy when Ayrton saw the good news. It was a double celebration for his family because Ayrton’s brother had been accepted into Stanford University on Friday.

He intends to major at Harvard in applied math with a minor in computer science. After that, Ayrton plans to work on Wall Street. The teen also wants to start a nonprofit organization to reach back and help other kids in struggling communities like his to achieve their academic goals.

SEE ALSO:

Report: Omarosa Just Got Fired By Trump For The Second Time

PBS Suspends Tavis Smiley After Being Accused Of Sexual Misconduct

[ione_media_gallery id="3498665" overlay="true"]

Read more: https://newsone.com/3764753/ayrton-little-16-harvard-acceptance-video-louisiana-student/

PBS Suspends Tavis Smiley After Being Accused Of Sexual Misconduct

According to an exclusive report from Variety, Tavis Smiley has been accused of sexual misconduct. He is currently suspended from his half-hour interview program that airs weeknights on PBS.

The network released a statement, “Effective today, PBS has indefinitely suspended distribution of Tavis Smiley, produced by TS Media, an independent production company. PBS engaged an outside law firm to conduct an investigation immediately after learning of troubling allegations regarding Mr. Smiley. This investigation included interviews with witnesses as well as with Mr. Smiley. The inquiry uncovered multiple, credible allegations of conduct that is inconsistent with the values and standards of PBS, and the totality of this information led to today’s decision.”

Allegedly, Tavis had sexual relations with “multiple subordinates” and “some witnesses interviewed expressed concern that their employment status was linked to the status of a sexual relationship with Smiley.” Tavis is also accused of creating a threatening and verbally abusive work environment.

Back in February, Jacques Hyzagi, a former producer on Smiley’s television show, claimed in the Observer that Smiley’s “misogyny is always creeping around, barely camouflaged by Midwestern good manners.” She said Smiley once picked up a woman at the Orlando airport and said she was a “f**k buddy.” She also alleged that Smiley had a romantic relationship with another producer and would often denigrate PBS executives.

Tavis Smiley has not responded to the allegations.

SOURCE: Variety

SEE ALSO: 

Embattled Rep. John Conyers Announces His Immediate Retirement

Grab Em By The P***y: Trump Caught Bragging On Tape About Groping Women

[ione_media_gallery id="3358541" overlay="true"]

Read more: https://newsone.com/3764700/pbs-suspends-tavis-smiley-after-being-accused-of-sexual-misconduct/

‘Stop Lying’ DeRay McKesson Sues Fox News Host Jeanine Pirro For Defamation

DeRay McKesson has started a legal battle against Fox News and one of the network’s hosts Jeanine Pirro for having “damaged his reputation and endangered him as a civil rights activist,” TMZ reported.

McKesson, a leader of the Black Lives Matter movement, sued Pirro and the controversial network for accusations that he directed protesters to commit violence against a police officer during a protest for Alton Sterling, a Black man who was killed by a White cop in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in July 2016. Pirro discussed a dismissed lawsuit filed by the unidentified officer, who reportedly was struck in the face with a rock, against BLM during a “FOX & Friends” episode on September 28, McKesson said. The media personality fired off several outrageous and false statements about McKesson, as well as blamed him for “directing the violence” toward the cop, according to documents obtained by TMZ. “You’ve got a police officer who was injured, he was injured at the direction of DeRay McKesson,” Pirro said, according to McKesson.

Black Lives Matter Leader DeRay McKesson Sues Jeanine Pirro, FOX News https://t.co/ZQN6m72EXL

— TMZ (@TMZ) December 13, 2017

“Pirro’s statements are untrue and further a narrative that I, and other activists, engage in violent protest,” Mckesson said in message to The Baltimore Sun Wednesday.

The activist and educator, who filed the defamation suit in New York Tuesday, had initially aired out his grievances in a post on Twitter in September.

.@JudgeJeanine, I was found not guilty & I didn't direct any violence. In fact, I was protesting the violence of the police. Stop lying. pic.twitter.com/c1D4SM0VlB

— deray (@deray) September 29, 2017

A federal judge ruled McKesson was “expressing his right to free speech at the demonstration, and it wasn’t his fault that the officer got hurt, TMZ previously reported.

A FOX News spokesperson told TMZ that the allegations are unfounded. “We informed Mr. McKesson’s counsel that our commentary was fully protected under the First Amendment and the privilege for reports of judicial proceedings,” t

Read more: https://newsone.com/3764664/deray-mckesson-twitter-black-lives-matter-lawsuit-jeanine-pirro-fox-news-defamation/

Colin Kaepernick Inspires One Muralist To Push Back Against Trump

One talented artist is examining African-American culture and protesting Trump in Georgia. Jorael Elliot, a creative from New Mexico, has painted a mural featuring the faces of Colin Kaepernick, Rosa Parks and more in Mercer Village, a popular restaurant destination in a historical college area in Macon, Georgia.

Viewers can see Kaepernick kneeling in protest and Parks’ booking number from her famous arrest after refusing to give up her seat, according to The Telegraph. Sam Oni, the first African-American student to attend Mercer University in Macon, a largely Black city, is also featured in the mural merging civil rights history with contemporary narratives. The piece also shows Black Civil War soldiers and a Black Civil War general. The featured people and depicted themes were chosen in response to the belief that removing Confederate monuments erases history.

https://t.co/V9cwe0LcVW

— Emanuela 41NBC (@Emanuela41NBC) December 12, 2017

“I think it’s just time to kind of call (injustices) out and do a piece on knowing what you stand for,” Elliott said to The Telegraph. ‘We can honor the history by telling different layers of the story from the past as well as make it (relevant) to the present.”

Elliott’s artistic effort, however, is more than a work of art dedicated to Black history flashpoints. The mural is part of a “Mobilize Walls” project pushing back against Trump’s proposed wall for Mexico, Elliott said. His goal is to build several murals that when combined have a square footage that makes them larger than the dimensions of the president’s promised imposing border, which is viewed as an attempt to promote fear-mongering. “Square foot by square foot, these walls all over the world can out scale the proposed wall,” Elliott said.

“And he’s [Elliott] already surpassed that amount and other artists are involved to so it’s not just his mural, it’s a combination of lots of different murals,” Craig Coleman, professor of art at Mercer, which is located in the same area as the mural, said to 41NBC. Coleman introduced the idea of artists creating more work in the historical college corridor in Macon

Read more: https://newsone.com/3764640/colin-kaepernick-mural-news-jorael-elliot-mercer-village-macon-georgia-art/

Page 3 of 4


advertisement


The Opinion Poll

Favor - 50%
Oppose - 50%
Unsure - 0%
advertisement


National Weather

Click on Map for Forecast